Monday 30 April 2012

Winning the bet (I crossed the desert)


Bet accepted, bet won. I got a job.

It’s been such a hard goal to achieve, like to find an oasis craving for fresh water, the same way I was craving for a job as a 21st century nomad.
And in fact the hundreds of positions I had applied for were actually just like mirages, vanishing at a closer look.
Not this time, as those words are firmly stuck in my mind: “We are willing to offer you the position”.
My exhausting travel in search of an income has finished, for now.

Really, I could not imagine Vancouver job market could be so hard to break into, like a medieval fortress.
The simple truth is everybody would like to live and work in Vancouver.
The result also is simple: too many people looking for occasions, too few open positions, salaries not so high if compared to freezer Alberta.
What I got is not exactly what I was looking for initially, but it’s a job, honest, paid, that enables me to spend some more time in this city, whose beauty is only equivalent to the difficulty to earn a living here.

Challenges are not over, but I took a first important step forward. You may be tough Canada, but I’m a stubborn bad ass too.
And wow, my blog is safe as well. I will keep updating it with my thoughts and impressions.
At least I will have more chances to get out to find inspiration and less time to cuddle my laptop with tons of resumes.

Next mission: to get a flat.

And by the way... it's time to turn the I AM GOING TO page to I LIVE IN, as it is time to live (in) Vancouver.


5 comments:

  1. Evvai!
    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do u need an employer reference to get a proper flat? btw congratulation 4 the job! Now is time to relax and give a further look with different eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivan.

      Honestly I don't know.
      When I taked to the guy responsible for the flat I told him I had just started working, and he asked me about my company.
      He hasn't mentioned any kind reference to get the place I live in now.

      Nevertheless, it may indeed be useful to exhibit references from previous landlords or host families, if you have any.

      Delete
  3. So pretty much like Ireland :)
    Looks like there aren't so many differences then

    ReplyDelete