Thursday 26 April 2012

The bet


A bet: that’s what I’ve made. My return to Italy was scheduled for 24th April in case of failure to get a job in Canada. Well… I have no job yet but I’m still in Canada.
I decided to keep searching here. It’s been a choice as sudden as difficult to make. I made up my mind only a couple of days before my departure.
If I fail again I will have to rebuy a brand new ticket, and I’m vaguely under the impression I won’t find a special offer Ryanair style. If I get a job, well… for a while I’ll stop thinking how miserable is the job market in Italy now.
It’s a bet, as risky as any bet. Life itself is a risk. I don’t want to be overdramatic but, if you think about that, since the moment you’re born you constantly take the chance to die.
If there’s no risk there’s no win, and with no winner there’s no game. Simple, brutal, true.

Nevertheless I was astonished to find out this simple concept is not clear to everybody.
I applied for a position and as a reason not to concede me an interview the principal said, beside the standard not the kind of experience I’m looking for, he looks for somebody with a mindset where you spend one dollar only if you are certain, through testing, that you will get $5 back.
Tell me my friend: who is certain to have back $5 spending $1???
If there’s certainty it’s not a bet, but it’s not even reality, unless you have the gift to see the future.
Who on the Earth would not invest a certain amount of money being 100% sure to gain something from that? Who would be so stupid?
Every entrepreneur knows there’s an entrepreneurial risk when starting a new business: success is never certain. If it was, there would be no businessmen and no business, like to playing lotto if everybody knew in advance the numbers drawn. It applies whether you open a new plant or you hire a new employee.
You can minimize the risk, but you cannot reduce it to zero.
You may like it or not, but that’s the way it works.
Canada is not an exception to me, and I'm sure your company is not to you: do you want to bet?


1 comment:

  1. Ciao Fabrizio

    happy to see you are still in Mapleland.
    In June I'll be travelling to Vancouver with my husband (you've met him, just not sure you remember him).
    I think you should let any potential employer see the writing Fabrizio more often and I'm sure they'll see you for what you are worth.

    Have tried volunteering in communities? Reservations? Anything? It might not get you a job but at least you might get the gist of how things Canadian work ;)

    A presto

    Ollivander

    ReplyDelete