Monday 30 December 2013

It's getting better (Happy New Year)


End of the year, time for an evaluation. I’d say it’s like a sort of reverted Christmas, where the letters are maybe written only mentally, the writers are “old kids” like myself, and the content is not about gifts to get as a present but what this finishing year has already brought to us.

It’s been a complicated year: a never-ending (in fact not ended yet) fight with the immigration, the desperate need for a new place to live in order to save myself from a possible physical assault coming from a crazy fucking alcoholic, the struggle to get finally hired full-time in my company and start learning some interesting cool stuff, a sense of loneliness capable to strike all in a sudden and make my cry (hey, there’s a man behind this screen), friends who left and that I miss (especially one, who sometimes comes across to these pages).
It’s also been a year of successes, and yes, if I look back to 2012, I can only say that things, far from being perfect, are anyway going better:
1) a job, sometimes hard, sometimes funny, in general interesting, maybe the first one after years I can really say I care of and that I don’t see a simple salary provider
2) a work permit on its way (I hope)
3) a place close to the office, close to the sea, close to supermarkets, close to everything I need, where may not have found my best friends ever, but certainly more normal and less psychotic people, and with a landlord that so far proved to be the best since I’m in Canada
4) a more active social life, with some friends to hang out with from time to time, and colleagues to have culinary experiences with in ethnic restaurants that contribute to Vancouver’s fame.

Not only culinary to be honest: a couple of weeks ago I was at my company’s Christmas party, and it was great. I had fun and won a full bottle of maple syrup.
As I decided to head to a nightclub with a bunch of colleagues, I kept drinking  from the 750ml bottle, leaving maybe less than half, just to make my night sweeter.
The bouncer at the entrance, at the beginning reluctant to let me in, thinking I was an alcoholic, reacted with a mixture of surprise and indignation: “Are you really drinking maple syrup” while his colleague was carefully checking the bottle.
Well man… you know, I didn’t win any booze at the Christmas party, we are in Canada, so yeah, I’m drinking maple syrup. “By the way, can I get in with the bottle, leave it at the cashier and pick it back when I’ll get out?”.
To much of my surprise the answer was “Yes”: power of the sweetness or award for the most original customer of the night.
The day after I was in hang-over, my first one without having been even tipsy the night before: the bitter side of the syrup maybe?

A meeting with Italians a couple of days after made me see many new faces: bad signal, meaning many Italians who came here last year failed to find a job, and many other who failed in Italy came here packing clothes and hopes all together.

I don’t know what 2014 will bring to me: in few weeks it will be my second year in Vancouver.
Still here, against all odds and predictions, farther than I could imagine.
I have not a list of things to ask to the incoming year, but just the hope that in a year time I will be writing a new post, saying that things have been better than 2013.
Everything can happen in this challenging city, including the beauty of the English Bay and Stanley Park covered with snow 10 days ago.

Happy New Year.




  


   



  

No comments:

Post a Comment