Saturday 31 December 2011

Weighing 2011




It’s time to take stock of 2011. I haven’t lost any money in the stock exchange, I haven’t been kicked out of home or office, I have not crying babies to be fed or a crying fridge to be filled at home.
If you live in a hut and after an earthquake you find out it still stands, yes, it’s still a hut, but the mansion beside is now just an amorphous bounce of bricks, so maybe it hasn’t turned out so badly for you.
In other words I shouldn’t complain too much, knowing this year has been simply tragic for thousands of people: credit crunch part 2, tsunami + nuclear hazard, Arab countries uprisings, and many other bad gifts left by a wicked Santa Claus the year before.
It should even be of no consequence to me the fact next year Italy will have 800,000 new unemployed: I have no job to lose.

Yet I’m not happy, because things haven’t gone as planned. Any Italian familiar with mal comune mezzo gaudio (in English roughly: A trouble shared is a trouble halved) may understand what I mean. That motto does not apply to me: I tend to be quite strict and demanding with myself, and to fail when the most of the others have failed is not a second prize to me, is just a failure.

It’s harder to define 2011. I should maybe classify it as a draw rather than a defeat. My second attempt to mark a turning point did not work out in UK. I did not get the job I was aiming for, but grabbed a precious internship that could be a step forward in the right direction. A draw then, not a defeat like 2010 when Italy showed to be a big disappointment to me after having left Ireland, but not a victory yet.

2012 is the turn of Canada: no draw here, only win or lose. Are you ready to play?



No comments:

Post a Comment