Wednesday 14 December 2011

When an insurance turns into a raffle






Last bureaucratic step: completed. I’m talking about something that got me really pissed off: the travel insurance.
I had never purchased one before, and I’ve been always determined to skip the travel insurance purchase option anytime I bought a flight. Even the insistence of Ryanair was ineffective on my conviction to challenge the destiny of my luggage. The “Are you sure you don’t want to buy the travel insurance?” window on Ryanair website was more or less like to ask me if I would have been hungry after one week of hunger-strike.

Canadian authorities unfortunately seem to be not as flexible as Ryanair terms & conditions makers: in other words they officially want that insurance in case, they say, I fall sick, I get run down by a car, or I have a close encounter with a grizzly bear searching for cuddles.
I said officially, because all the people I heard of who went to Canada with a working holiday visa were not been asked that at their arrival.

Hence my being pissed off, because I spent money for something that probably nobody will even take care to ask me about. But you know… let’s assume the immigration officer the night before had an argument with the boyfriend and she’s even more pissed off than me. Let’s suppose she asks me “Sir, can I see your proof of insurance?”, well, in that case I suppose I won’t manage to convince her saying my last flu was maybe 4 years ago, and when I look at the bacteria they get sick, not myself.
I’ll try to see the whole thing as a sort of inverted raffle, where I’ve been basically forced to buy the ticket not to lose anything, a sort of prelude of a much more serious raffle: the one to get a job.


No comments:

Post a Comment